Trolling Not Allowed

Trolling Not Allowed! Comments from anonymous trolls are not permitted and are deleted if posted by the offending pest.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Civility: Near Extinction or What?

The thrust of today's Roland Hansen Commentary concerns the topic of civility.

I had a subtle reminder about this topic when I came across a note I had written to myself about six weeks ago to visit the topic after I had read an interesting editorial written by Kathleen Parker in The Washington Post that relates to civility in politics. May I suggest you take a bit of your time to read it? If you are interested, click on over to read "Politics with a little politesse" and see what you think.

Quite frankly, I think Kathleen Parker is right on target.

Along that same vein, I am reminded of a few entries here on Roland Hansen Commentary that relate to civility in the present age of electronic communications, especially so in the blogosphere such as Glass City Jungle and on internet social networks such as Facebook. Take a look at a few of my previous entries:
Glass City Jungle and the Trolling Flamer Cyberbully Factor
Not Again
Social Network Services Diminish Family Life And Friendships

Okay, what do you think? Is civility lost to humanity?

1 comment:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Roland,

I think that if you troll deep enough, you will catch the bottom feeders. :-)

That being said, I believe that civility is currently fighting what seems to be a losing battle in this world and have posted on it myself a time or two. There is still hope that it will change, but it will take some effort and some education.

The blogging world, with its anonymous commenting often provides cover for those to whom intelligent or civil discourse was never an option.

On the other hand, newspapers were once a hotbed of rumor and innuendo, but eventually matured into a viable source of fact and information. (Many have since devolved, but that's another story.)

I believe that blogging holds the potential of the same maturation. I may not be alive to see it, but as the internet media take greater control of the market, it may have to happen as a matter of course.

At this the beginning of a new decade, let us hope so...