Trolling Not Allowed

Trolling Not Allowed! Comments from anonymous trolls are not permitted and are deleted if posted by the offending pest.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Is Ford Motor Company UnAmerican?

Well, I gotta tell ya, oftentimes I am amazed at the large number of people who cry about foreign companies who own and operate facilities in the United States claiming the USA is being bought and paid for by foreign interests, but nary a word from them when it is "American" companies who are doing likewise in other countries.

Remember, Henry Ford who revolutionized the American auto industry? Remember when the Model T represented the affordability of auto ownership for all Americans? Remember when the Ford Motor Company was as American as apple pie?

Remember this news article announcing that Ford was closing down a whole bunch of American manufacturing plants and putting thousands of Americans out of work? Do you know that the former all-American Ford Motor Company is global?

I recently read the article Ford to build new assembly plant in China and I remembered that I had previously read something about Ford manufacturing cars in India. That got me to thinking and I did some more research on the wide wonderful world of the internet. In doing so, I came across the article Ford Makes Push to Boost Asian Presence. It seems to me that Ford continues to expand its business overseas while continuing to downsize its American workforce. Gee, I wonder if Ford Motor Company is moving to India.


All of this seems to give new meaning to the phrase "Buy American." Is there really such a thing as an American car company any more?

Is Ford Motor Company UnAmerican?

3 comments:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Roland,

I'm not sure that we can talk about any company as an American company any more, and I'm not sure that it surprises me. American GM and Chrysler have also long manufactured outside of the country, as have many other companies outside of the auto industry.

I can understand however, a company's desire to go after emerging markets, which I would consider both India and China to be. I would likewise understand that such companies place the interests of their stockholders and a desire to earn a profit as a primary goal in a tough world market.

We may wish that Ford built more cars in the US, but have to admit that this same market is in the doldrums. We can at least take solace in the fact that Ford is operating as a private sector company without the benefit of a federal bailout to do so.

Can GM say the same? Can Chrysler, now owned by the Italians and the government say the same?

Judy said...

Ford still stands for;
Fix Or Repair Daily,
Found On Road Dead!

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Roland,

"Is Ford Motor Company UnAmerican?"

More like Ford Motor Company is a Global presence..., like MANY other car companies.

It's a new world out there. . .