I will be right upfront with you: I love AFSCME.
Back in the day during my employment in the public sector, I was not just a member of AFSCME, I was very active in it holding several positions within the union at the local, regional, and state levels.
And as a result of my AFSCME involvement, I was also active in several union organizations.
Here is a listing of my labor union activities during my days of employment in the public sector.
- Local 544 AFSCME, AFL-CIO: Steward, Chief Steward, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Executive Vice President, P.E.O.P.L.E. (Public Employees Organized to Promote Legislaive Equality) Committee (i.e. Political Action) Chairman, Newsletter Assistant Editor.
- Northwest Ohio District Council 46 AFSCME, AFL-CIO: Delegate, P.E.O.P.L.E. Committee Chairman.
- Ohio Council 8 AFSCME, AFL-CIO, State Administrative Committee (Execuive Board), Annual P.E.O.P.L.E. Raffle Fundraising Chairman.
- Toledo Port Council, AFL-CIO, Delegate.
- Toledo Area AFL-CIO Council, Delegate.
- Ohio Labor Press Association.
And while working my way through college and prior to my graduation, I was a member of Local 1058 UAW and of Local 954 Retail Clerks, AFL-CIO.
But, I digress. Back on topic. As stated in the opening sentence, I read the interesting blog entry. I have reproduced its opening remarks below, in which I have also embedded a link that will take you to the entire article. Just follow that embedded link and you can read the entire thing.
President Obama hosted a “White House Summit on Worker Voice” Oct. 7 that focused on the importance of unions in the modern economy, a welcome national spotlight that comes as more Americans say they approve of unions.