Trolling Not Allowed

Trolling Not Allowed! Comments from anonymous trolls are not permitted and are deleted if posted by the offending pest.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

BOGO is BOGUS

I am so sick and tired of false and misleading advertising from the private retail business sector.

My specific gripe concerns those "Buy One Get One Free" offers, aka BOGO.

Every time I see or hear of a BOGO offer from a retailer, I want to scream FALSE ADVERTISING.

I was taught that the word "free" in the world of consumer goods and services meant "without cost or payment; without charge; free of charge; given or available without charge."

Have you ever gone to a merchant that was advertising BOGO offerings, and say "I do not want to buy one, I just want the free one" and then actually get the free one? I have made that statement on more than one occassion, and have been refused each and every time. On such occasions, the merchant has always told me that I have to buy one in order to get the free one. Upon being refused the free item without making a financial transaction, I have informed the merchant of the definition of "free" to which the merchant persists with the response "You must buy one to get one free."

Am I stupid or what? To me, free is free, and does not have any cost requirement!

I am of the understanding that the word "bogus" means "false;  fraudulent; having a misleading appearance; counterfeit or fake; not genuine."

Given my uderstanding of BOGO and of BOGUS, I postulate that retailers who make BOGO offers are practicing, perpetuating and participating in a form of consumer fraud. Ergo, the appropriate governmental agencies who are charged with the responsibility of protecting citizens from consumer fraud should take legal action to force retailers to cease and desist from their false advertising.

BOGO is BOGUS.

No comments: