Thus far, there are seven people who have publicly announced that they are in the race for City of Toledo Mayor in 2013. As time goes by, there might be even more people announcing their candidacy for the position of Toledo Mayor. The September 10 primary election ballot will whittle the number of candidates down to two mayor candidates facing one another off in the November general election.
Here is the list of the presently declared 7 mayoral candidates:
- Incumbent Mayor Independent Mike Bell
- Toledo City employee and Local 2058 A.F.S.C.M.E. President Independent Alan Cox
- Toledo City Councilman Democrat Joe McNamara
- Retired Toledo City employee Libertarian Michael Konwinski
- Evangelist, Minister, and Just Recently A Declared Republican Opal Covey
- Lucas County Auditor Democrat Anita Lopez
- Toledo City Councilman Independent D. Michael Collins
- AFSCME leader Alan Cox vows to work to repeal strong-mayor system, The Blade (www.toledoblade.com), Tom Troy, January 12, 2013.
- Answering the call: McNamara enters mayoral race, Toledo Free Press (www.toledofreepress.com), Sarah Ottney February 14, 2013.
- Lucas County Libertarian Party announces its candidate for mayor, Toledo Free Press (www.toledofreepress.com) March 12, 2013.
- Toledo history lesson from Opal Covey, Blade Slices - Politics (www.toledoblade.typepad.com/bladeslices), Tom Troy, March 13, 2013.
- Libertarian Konwinski plans to run for mayor, Covey says she’s a GOP candidate, The Blade (www.toledoblade.com), Tom Troy, March 14, 2013.
- McNamara slams Lopez over workers at her event, He says 6 county employees attended mayoral kickoff, The Blade (www.toledoblade.com), Ignazio Messina, April 25, 2013.
- Mayoral candidate Anita López calls Bell, McNamara “out of touch” with voters, economy, La Prensa (www.laprensatoledo.com), Kevin Milliken, April 27, 2013.
- Mayor’s race features 3 top contenders, But others may enter already-crowded field, The Blade (www.toledoblade.com), Tom Troy, May 13, 2013.
- Collins jumps into contest for city mayor, He vows to reopen district police site, The Blade (www.toledoblade.com), Tom Troy, May 15, 2013.
- Heavy mettle, Toledo Free Press (www.toledofreepress.com), Michael Miller, May 17, 2013.
An, oh, by the way, this is not the first time that Mike Bell and D. Michael Collins have had a slugfest in the quest for the office of Toledo Mayor. Take a look at this previous Roland Hansen Commentary:
Michael v. Michael OR All About Mikes in Toledo, Ohio, June 30, 2009.
And with this June 2, 2010 Roland Hansen Commentary Mike Bell, The Motorcycling Mayor of Toledo, Ohio in mind, I now ask for whom the bell tolls.