Trolling Not Allowed

Trolling Not Allowed! Comments from anonymous trolls are not permitted and are deleted if posted by the offending pest.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

President Barack Obama and the White House Summit on Worker Voice

I just read a very interesting blog entry by Michael Byrne entitled "White House Spotlights Importance of Unions" over on the website of A.F.S.C.M.E. - the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees.

I will be right upfront with you: I love AFSCME.
Back in the day during my employment in the public sector, I was not just a member of AFSCME, I was very active in it holding several positions within the union at the local, regional, and state levels.
And as a result of my AFSCME involvement, I was also active in several union organizations.
Here is a listing of my labor union activities during my days of employment in the public sector.

  • Local 544 AFSCME, AFL-CIO: Steward, Chief Steward, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Executive Vice President, P.E.O.P.L.E. (Public Employees Organized to Promote Legislaive Equality) Committee (i.e. Political Action) Chairman, Newsletter Assistant Editor.
  • Northwest Ohio District Council 46 AFSCME, AFL-CIO: Delegate, P.E.O.P.L.E. Committee Chairman.
  • Ohio Council 8 AFSCME, AFL-CIO, State Administrative Committee (Execuive Board), Annual P.E.O.P.L.E. Raffle Fundraising Chairman.
  • Toledo Port Council, AFL-CIO, Delegate.
  • Toledo Area AFL-CIO Council, Delegate.
  • Ohio Labor Press Association.

And while working my way through college and prior to my graduation, I was a member of Local 1058 UAW and of Local 954 Retail Clerks, AFL-CIO.

But, I digress. Back on topic. As stated in the opening sentence, I read the interesting blog entry. I have reproduced its opening remarks below, in which I have also embedded a link that will take you to the entire article. Just follow that embedded link and you can read the entire thing.

President Obama hosted a “White House Summit on Worker Voice” Oct. 7 that focused on the importance of unions in the modern economy, a welcome national spotlight that comes as more Americans say they approve of unions.

No comments: